Crew member Dr. Sian Proctor, in charge of education and outreach, has been hard at work on our new website. Check it out at hi-seas.org. We’re all contributing posts and pictures as we ramp up to our two-week practice mission in January and our four-month main mission in April 2013.
In the meantime, I suggest you check out some interesting tidbits about the mission. For instance,
- Did you know that one of our crew members is a TED Fellow?
- One of the principle investigators in charge of getting the mission off the ground, so to speak, is quite the comedienne.
- There’s a chance each crew member will wear one pair of socks and one pair of underwear during the entire four-month mission. They will be contain, as an active ingredient, antimicrobial nanoparticles.
- Our main mission objective is to study space food. We’re having a recipe contest, so share your space-age concoctions.
- How did the crew become involved in HI-SEAS? We applied, naturally. Take a look at the original call for applicants to see what we signed ourselves up for.